FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question from a newbie

<<

Luminion

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Friend Code: ****-****-****

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: ****-****-****

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Question from a newbie

Hi everyone, I am interested in attending future vgc tournaments, but I have some questions about the game mechanics. Hopefully the people here can clarify my doubts.
From what I understand, you are able to use any pokemon from any regions. However, if a pokemon like Garchomp cannot be found in B/W 2, do I have to get previous versions and trade it to my B/W 2? And what if I dont have previous versions? Will I lose out? 2nd question, how do I know which EV should I train for my pokemon? Do I train HP for all pokemon? I am not very sure regarding this, hopefully someone can help me. Lastly, I should catch/ hatch a pokemon if I want it to be properly EV trained, why is this so? Thanks for taking your time to read! ^^
<<

Ervin88

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Question from a newbie

Hi,

to answer your question, if you do not have the game where you could not find your required Pokemon, you should not use external devices to get your required Pokemon. In Team Robo's VGC tournaments, there will be a strict hack check to check for hacks. And yes, you might lose out if you do not have games from previous generations (Gamefreak is pretty smart to make money)

And regarding EV spreads, check the Smogon Strategy Pokedex for EV spreads for required Pokemon.

I hope this helps.

And if you want to ask questions in the future, please put the question on the asking question forum. (I forgotten what is it called)
<<

Luminion

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Ervin88 wrote:Hi,

to answer your question, if you do not have the game where you could not find your required Pokemon, you should not use external devices to get your required Pokemon. In Team Robo's VGC tournaments, there will be a strict hack check to check for hacks. And yes, you might lose out if you do not have games from previous generations (Gamefreak is pretty smart to make money)

And regarding EV spreads, check the Smogon Strategy Pokedex for EV spreads for required Pokemon.

I hope this helps.

And if you want to ask questions in the future, please put the question on the asking question forum. (I forgotten what is it called)

Yea, I know about the hack check. But damn :/ Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Thanks too.
<<

TanZYinG

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 am

Luminion wrote:Hi everyone, I am interested in attending future vgc tournaments, but I have some questions about the game mechanics. Hopefully the people here can clarify my doubts.
From what I understand, you are able to use any pokemon from any regions. However, if a pokemon like Garchomp cannot be found in B/W 2, do I have to get previous versions and trade it to my B/W 2? And what if I dont have previous versions? Will I lose out? 2nd question, how do I know which EV should I train for my pokemon? Do I train HP for all pokemon? I am not very sure regarding this, hopefully someone can help me. Lastly, I should catch/ hatch a pokemon if I want it to be properly EV trained, why is this so? Thanks for taking your time to read! ^^

Hi,

1. You don't have to, because you can trade a Gible/Gabite/Garchomp to BW2 and breed it there (usually with a Ditto). Basically for tournaments so long as the Pokemon was created through entirely in-game methods or other official Nintendo methods (such as the Dream World, Pokewalker etc), it is fine.

2. There are some competitively viable things that are simply not obtainable in BW2 alone, like the abovementioned unavaliability of Garchomp. Some of these limitations can be worked around (hint: interact with community members, make friends and people are usually willing to lend you stuff/give away stuff), but yes, sometimes you do have to bite the bullet and get hold of the older games for these things.

3. How to EV is a very very very complex question with different answers for specific Pokemon that keep changing as players invent new strategies to stay ahead of the competition. If you are a beginner I would suggest identifying the two stats that define your Pokemon's role (for example, Attack and Speed for physical attacking Garchomp) and maximising them. As players improve, they begin to tweak those EV spreads to hit key thresholds, with the help of stat/damage calculators and their own intuition and metagame knowledge. There is no other way to learn how to do this except by experience.

4. Well I suppose the logic behind that is that you are limited to 510 EVs per Pokemon, and a freshly caught/hatched one starts off with a clean slate of zero. However, you can feed Pokemon that already have EVs certain berries, or bring them to salons at Join Avenue, to erase the existing EVs. It doesn't really matter to a player how he goes about the EV training process so long as the final EVs are correct.

Return to Questions and Feedbacks