FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[Featured Article] The importance of protecting your cards

<<

Deusanautica

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:27 pm

[Featured Article] The importance of protecting your cards

Hi there. I decided to post this thread because of a couple of incidents that really got on my nerves, and these incidents involve people not protecting their rare holographic cards properly. Before I move on to the key points at hand, I recognize that some might say that it's their business whether or not they protect their cards like shiny legendaries, primes, or any other rare card, fair enough, but I want to voice this out regardless.

Over the past couple of days, I have heard about people, for reasons unknown, not putting their cards in sleeves, or outright refusing to do so despite being asked to. I have seen some holographic cards damaged to the point that the holographic treatment was scratched around the edges of the card, multiple scratches on the surface of the card, as if it had just gone through a sandpaper door, among other things. These things have really made me cringe, and would make others cringe too if they were to see it, which is why I'm here, to talk about the importance of protecting their cards.

Everybody knows how hard it is to get a rare holographic card in a pack, or even within dozens of packs, thus the name rare, or even super rare, or ultra rare. Many a time, these cards are sought after by players and collectors alike, and would pay a good dollar for it. If these cards are not well protected, their value would diminish greatly. For people looking to sell their rare holographic cards for good money, surely 10 cents for 1 sleeve is a good investment to make sure that a $50 card doesn't get reduced into being a $5 card, right?

Similarly, for people who have always wanted some rare cards but could never have the luck or opportunity to be in possession of one, imagine what goes through their mind when they see someone who has that special rarity that they want, but in terrible condition because the owner couldn't care less, it's a slap in the face, not because someone else has the card that they wanted, but because someone else is purposefully damaging the card that they wanted. Can anyone imagine their Charizard Star Delta, or Mew Star Delta, in their possession, well protected for years and years, and when they let it go, the new owner proceeds to scratch and tear it because he couldn't care less?

In a world of collectors, the condition that you keep your cards in is the key to making a good first impression. You keep your cards in good condition, and others will be able to trust that you keep their cards in good condition. No one would wish to trade with a person who would freely let his Charizard EX be scratched and bent without caring about it, right?

Whether as a merchant or as a collector, when you're buying, selling, or trading, there is always the onus to make sure that the cards involved in the transaction are in mint condition. Keeping the cards in mint condition is a form of respecting the card, respecting the transaction and respecting the other party.

I've seen and heard a few cases these past couple of days where people couldn't care less about protecting their cards, obviously I won't mention names here, but I do hope that they, and everyone else who hasn't begun protecting their cards yet, to read this, and start the habit of protecting their rare cards.

Shaymin is too cute...
<<

xZephyrL

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: The importance of protecting your cards

It's a kind of respect to the card and game. I keep my rare cards in a deck box, and sleeve them up well when selling to people. I support this thread. :)
Selling and Buying
http://www.teamrobo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1586
Contact 9150 9616
Looking for people to playtest in the west. :)
<<

abc

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Friend Code: ****-****-****

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: 1337 1337 1337

Pokémon BW Friend Code: 1120 0252 7821

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am

Finally, we have this up...

This should be written into "The Etiquettes of Buying of Selling Cards", because I feel that, like any other form of transaction, the products should be kept in good and presentable condition. You really don't want to slog your guts out finding an extremely rare card on the forum, jump for joy when you find a seller, then receive a "slap in the face" when you realise that the card is in horrible condition. Of course, if both parties don't mind, it's fine; but sellers, please have the decency to report the condition of the card(s) to the buyer.

On the other hand, I have seen people "exploiting" this etiquette in an underhanded manner. Allow me to share an experience: This buyer, upon reading my thread, contacts me for a bundle of cards worth $22. The cards I was supposed to sell him were all in good condition, save for a few white spots on certain cards' corners (this is very common, as it is almost impossible to get a "perfectly mint" card). So we arranged a time and place to meet, and just before I meet him he sends me a message requesting a discount of $1 (which I agree to reluctantly). And then we meet up, he gives the cards (sleeved all along, mind you) a superficial glance and says "Hey these cards are in bad condition, I will only buy them all for $20." He effectively threatened to not buy the cards if I did not give in to his request. I accepted his offer with absolute distaste because I didn't want to waste time finding another buyer.

In conclusion, cards in acceptable condition should be sold at their original worth; however, buyers PLEASE specify your terms and conditions before using "Bad Condition" as an excuse to nab last-minute discounts. This of course doesn't mean that sellers should ignore the cards' conditions if buyers don't specify their terms. Selling products in good condition is a social etiquette that exists in all firms and industries, including the trading card market.
Q. Can I use Rotom's "Mischievous Trick" Poke-POWER when I have no cards in my deck, to put a Prize card into my deck?

A. No, you can't. That would be far too mischievous. (HS:Undaunted FAQ; Sep 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team)
<<

ujinyumeno

Professor
Professor

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:35 pm

I approve this post.
<<

chanjingzhi

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: [Featured Article] The importance of protecting your car

This should not only be put up in forums IMO, gym leaders should tell their members to take care of them and respect them.
Why must Resiram EX and Zekrom EX switch effects?!! But i guess it help in bringing ZPS into a whole new level
<<

Deusanautica

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 pm

One of my gym members told me about his friend, who is another member of my gym, about the way he has treated his cards. That friend was asked to sleeve his rare holographic cards, but he blatantly refused. I do not know yet why he repeatedly refused to sleeve his cards, despite knowing how rare they are. I will find out what exactly his mindset and reasoning is.

Shaymin is too cute...
<<

abc

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: 1337 1337 1337

Pokémon BW Friend Code: 1120 0252 7821

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:59 am

lol at the post titles. "The importance of protecting your car".
Q. Can I use Rotom's "Mischievous Trick" Poke-POWER when I have no cards in my deck, to put a Prize card into my deck?

A. No, you can't. That would be far too mischievous. (HS:Undaunted FAQ; Sep 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team)
<<

Deusanautica

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:37 am

abc wrote:lol at the post titles. "The importance of protecting your car".

ugh, the title is 2 letters too long

Shaymin is too cute...
<<

Roarkiller

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Because it's their problem and not ours.

I admit that I feel pained to see certain cards in very bad condition. Often these cards belong to kids who barely know the use of the cards, let alone their value.

That said, aside from serious players, collectors and traders, the actual value of these cards are worth zilch. You try telling the auntie selling mee pok to give you a bowl of noodles for a mint jumpluff. Just doesn't work.

And all this is besides the point that, in the end, the cards don't belong to us. And so it's really none of our business what they do to the cards. It's their cards, their money. Not ours.

Apologize for being the only one with a different mindset, but that's my true opinion.
Image ImageOMImageNOMImageNOMImageNOMImage
<<

Sendoh

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: ****-****-****

Pokémon BW Friend Code: 2709-2717-4298

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:51 pm

I agree with Roarkiller, but only if the cards are kept in the kids' collection forever. This is rarely the case, however. Even if the person does not think that he may ever sell or trade the card, it is too early to tell if your mind will change as time passes by.

The worst situation is when these kids realise that they need the money probably a few years later, and decide to sell whatever poorly-kept but most likely highly sort after (by collectors) cards they have in their collection. Buyers expect the cards, given their rarity, to have been kept in sleeves and are disappointed during the meetup when a quick check is made, where all sorts of grievances between both parties will happen. What about online sales like ebay and such? I have bought many a card advertised as 'near mint' by sellers when the condition is really less than excellent (roughly PSA 6/10) and has obviously not been kept in a sleeve before. It becomes a huge hassle to return the card and very rarely would you get the proper remuneration, since people don't usually refund shipping costs.

Case in point would be Charizard EX. In my opinion that card does not have any play value, the only collector's value it has is its inflated price, which is NOT caused by its scarcity or lack thereof, but that there are so little MINT condition Charizard EX in circulation. I've snagged about 3 Charizard EXs, and my BEST condition one is a PSA-graded 7 Charizard EX, which is actually quite pathetic since I have lots of cards printed before EX FRLG which are in better condition than that. All cards don't look like they have been played (who on earth would play Charizard EX?), but they look like they have not been sleeved.

Like I said, its all good if the player does not intend to put the card in the market for circulation, sales or trades or whatever, which is almost never the case once the player realises he has some valuable cards on hand. But the market can really do without cards of inferior condition, especially if all it takes is just putting a sleeve on the card. Deck sleeves are an essential investment if you collect cards, especially since it is highly unlikely for any card to get dinged, creased, scratched, or edge-wear in a sleeve and is preserved for years.

In conclusion, since whatever cards you get eventually have a chance of being publicly circulated, it is your responsibility to contribute to the community by NOT introducing cards of poor condition into circulation.
Next

Return to General Discussion