Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:46 pm

The New Modified Format: BW-on!

So, in case you guys haven't already heard, the rotation for the 2012-2013 season has already been confirmed to be Black & White onwards, removing the entire HGSS block as well as Call of Legends from the Modified format.

So my question is, what have you guys been thinking of for the new format? What new decks have you been thinking of? Or have you been figuring how to get your existing deck to work, such as Zeel or Darkrai/Terrakion?

To state the obvious, most decks that have retained their core Pokemon (Eel variants, Darkrai variants) will need to overhaul their T/S/S lines, as well as their support Pokemon. Also, without Smeargle around, the overall speed of the game will also slow down. This might give slower decks like Round and Reshiboar a chance to compete, but we can't know for sure until the format stablises after Worlds.

Another impact this rotation will have is the loss of Junk Arm. The fast set-up of many decks was reliant on the use of Junk Arm to recycle important cards such as Dark Patch (allowing for a T1 Night Spear) or as a back up plan (e.g. using Random Reciever then using Junk Arm after drawing into a dead hand).

For those of us not able to go to Worlds, it's time to start off a fresh and begin with the new format! As it was when they began the HGSS-on format back at the start of the 2011-2012 season, most of us will be fumbling around trying to get our footing. On the bright side, we have local tournaments such as the Robo Cup Tournament & Fundraiser, Victory Roads, and the Inter-Gym Tournament (usually used to kick off the start of a new season). This will give us a head start on the BW-on format before Battle Roads, traditionally the first Premier event of a new season.

This is BlazingDragon, who got into top cut at 7th seed and finished at 10th place at this years Nationals, signing off! LOL
THIS HAND OF MINE BURNS WITH AN AWESOME POWER!
IT'S LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU!!!