<<

Roarkiller

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Featured Article: Elias

Intro!

To copy Clifton's syle, I'll just put this up for the rest of you non-readers:

TL;DR - Started playing since 2000 Takashimaya Pokemon Convention, probably the only player in Singapore to be playing ever since. Now gymleader for Active! Gym at Lor Ah Soo.

And for the few people who are willing enough to read through all my crap, my life story... or half of it, at least.

No pictures, I'm not about to torture you people with my beauty, or your bandwith with card images or my huge collection.

About Me
Well, this is a short one. I'm currently working full-time as a warehouse assistant while studying part-time at SIC as an Engineering student. Other hobbies include Air Rifle at Safra Yishun, because it's the only other hobby I have met with considerable success (two gold, one silver, 3 bronze while representing TPJC). Also martial arts, but I stopped that because too many night classe are stressful.

I'm Single. Just in case anybody wants to know :)

My Beginning
Believe it or not, I used to dislike pokemon- the anime series, actually. Back then, like now, I never liked to follow the crowd, and with all the attention that pokemon was getting, similar to Digimon, I just disliked it from the start. Took a while to get rid of that dislike.

My cousin was the one who got me into the TCG. He showed me some cards he got, although neither of us knew how to play at the time. So I went online and researched about the game, even went so far as to print copies of the cards (my first proxies, lol) to learn how to play properly.

My cousin was also the one who tipped me off about Takashimaya, which was during the June holidays I believe. There, I found an incredible number of players, some who have played for a year since it arrived on our shores, mostly playing some variation of haymaker, which I only realized much later when I found out why they wanted promo mewtwo so much. I bought my first booster, got a holo right off the bat (Mewtwo). The next day, I decided to buy the starter deck and played for a bit. During the course of the week, I also bought two more starter decks: Zap! and Overgrowth. Combination of the decks gave me my first self-made deck, which I won a few rounds against haymaker, surprisingly.

Not surprisingly, my cousin (again) also informed me of the formation of the first Pokemon League. It was only open on Saturdays at the time, so I joined in the second week. It was great fun, although the white picket fence was irritating and kept breaking (later, it was removed, and a few months later, so were the tables and chairs). Within a few weeks, I had enough cards to make my first true deck: Removal deck, using Poliwrath and Dragonair from Base Set. After more "studying", I later made a second deck using Charmeleon and Electabuzz, also from Base Set. This second deck was also the basis for one of my first PTCG articles: How to build a Poor Man's deck, and met with considerable success.

The Next Step: Tournaments and Coins
By this time, I was already well acquainted with The Pokemasters, or TPM. Armed with more knowledge then I had gotten from the local league, I joined my first tournament organized by DCI and Comics Mart at Serene center, after my friend invited me. I didn't do well then, because I was still a beginner. But this small group were one of the finest at that time, and it didn't take long for me to catch up to their level- and overtake a few in the process.

My infamous Sneasel deck, also known as "The Deck of Hell" when deck names were still compulsory, was a bane to everyone who faced me then. I was one of the earliest adopters, and pretty soon nearly everyone was using it. You name the deck: Haymaker, Copycat, Rogue; everyone tried at least once to fit in the little monster. With an average damage of 70, the magic number at that time, and focus band, it was the in thing.

But it wasn't until I devised ways of making the flippy deck more accurate when the real trouble really began. Many of you would be familiar to the story of the coin that almost always turned up heads, but only those who played in tose tournaments understood how big the problem was. Not only did I find a way to gain at least 65% heads for any coin, I also found a way to second-guess the outcome of coin flips with a scary 70% minimum accuracy... and teaching them to everyone. You can only imagine the horror of it. All this on top of our initial ability of second guessing the cards in our oponent's hand with equally deadly accuracy.

I also have a Starmie coin (still do) that jacked the number up to 90%. And with Sneasel, that's the equivalent of Jumpluff damage now, one-shotting even the mighty Chansey with two metal energy/defender.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was how the first coin ban came into place :)

My first nationals was during my time in NS, and a story I tell to all new players lamenting about their inability to make archetype decks. I only found out about it two weeks before the actual event, and this was after a considerably long break after there were no more places and players to play with. Armed with my pathetic private-rank pay, I pulled long hours looking up all the cards that had been released since I stopped playing, drew up a deck with absolutely no idea about the metagame, then literally went all over Singapore buying all the cards I needed.

Armed with RS Sceptile and Sceptile EX along with Boost Energy for good measure, I struggled through to win 2nd.

Fast Forward
Aside from being the first Pokemon Professor in Singapore, I have also tried (and failed) to bring in the 3rd league after the second league at Liang Court closed. I also ran a rather successful Pokemon website (Roarkiller's World) during my JC days, was a deck fixer and moderator at TPM, and also assisted where I could in the early days of PokeBeach (WaterPokemonMaster was a fellow moderator at TPM).

Whatever success I had in the game, I attribute to the fact that I have almost always gone for rogue or anti-BDIF. I never believed in following the metagame because I know that a mirror match is often the most unstable since the match can go either way, while a rogue/anti-BDIF always has the advantage of unpredictability. This is why my advice for any aspiring champions is to completely ignore the metagame when starting out and going with whatever you feel comfortable with. It's always easiest playing with something you built from scratch, rather than copy a winning deck and hoping that it will work for you (it won't, by the way, and never will).

If I have any other advice to give to players, it can be summed in two words: playtest, improve. Decks don't become strong by repeated building and dismantling, it becomes stronger by repeatedly tweaking it, adding cards, removing some, until you reach the point when you know that it cannot be improved anymore by changing cards. If, at that point, you are still dissatisfied with the deck, only then do you dismantle it and build a new one, and this new deck must be in a way a continuation of the previous deck, repeatedly improving what had worked before and tweaking what doesn't. Losing is not something that should be feared; it is a REQUIREMENT in order to improve. You can only find out what's wrong when you lose or come across a new and difficult situation.

Then, and only then, can you create a deck that can stand up to the metagame.

----------

And to end, the famous quote:

Rate/fix/comment pls.

(PS: I'll be bringing my large collection of TCG memorabilia for the CC, so look out for that.)
Image ImageOMImageNOMImageNOMImageNOMImage
<<

pokemontcgfan

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Featured Article: Elias

Are you going to bring that long banner this time? i want to see exactly how long it is
I'm back from my Pokemon hiatus.
Looking for people to playtest on weekday afternoon.
<<

Roarkiller

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:40 pm

If you want me to, sure. I have two btw.
Image ImageOMImageNOMImageNOMImageNOMImage
<<

pokemontcgfan

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Maybe you can put the banner up
I'm back from my Pokemon hiatus.
Looking for people to playtest on weekday afternoon.
<<

BigMacII

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Cool story, I look forward to meeting you at Cities !

Cheers. :)
<<

soon

Professor
Professor

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Friend Code: ****-****-****

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: 4082-8033-3764

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Cool read... darn, this article was 5 months old.... =_=

Return to General Discussion