FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Featured Article: The Etiquettes of Buying and Selling Cards

<<

marcslts

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 am

Re: Featured Article: The Etiquettes of Buying and Selling C

Well, me and my sibs are trying to set-up a trading web-site where we can have sellers and buyers on a common list for people to reference and leave recommendations etc. Hopefully this may introduce another dimension to the buying / selling process than pure economics and reduce the frustration felt by both camps. Work-In-Progress!

Meanwhile, I think managing one's expectations (both as a buyer and seller) are good ways to reduce stress :p Just keep in mind that most people do not intentionally try to make life difficult for others. If anything, they may be more likely to make amends if you're nice to them, by recommending friends or coming back for future buys. Just something I learned from experience and thought it worthwhile to share :)
<<

TheFirstSecond

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Friend Code: ****-****-****

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: ****-****-****

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:16 am

I am a new player who started around 2 months ago and I think that the most intolerable type of buyers are those that "steal" deals from people that they know.

Let me give you guys an example:
Buyer A is interested in buying Seller B's cards. They agreed on a deal and decide to meet 1 week later. However, 2 days later, Buyer C who is Buyer A's acquaintance found out about the deal and is also interested in the cards that Seller B agreed to sell Buyer A. When Seller B tells Buyer C that it is reserved by Buyer A, Buyer C immediately offers $(put price here) more than the deal made between Buyer A and Seller B. Unable to resist earning a few bucks or even few cents more, Seller B succumbed to temptation and sold the cards to Buyer C. Even worst is that Buyer C can happily tell Buyer A that he bought from Seller B and pretended not to know about the deal between Buyer A and Seller B. IMO this is inexcusable and i feel that such people have no ethics.

It seems so detailed because i had been Buyer A for multiple occasions. Buyer C has been the same person all along. -_-. Whatever I am interested in will be in his album 1 week after he knows that i want to buy it.

Like what Deusanautica said, buying and selling requires mutual responsibility between both buyer and seller, and I feel that other buyers should have the courtesy not to break deals that had already been agreed upon the parties involved.

Another thing that disgusts me and i find totally unacceptable is scamming of new/younger players. I have seen other new players, mostly little kids being scammed. They tend to lie to small kids that the card is weak and useless and offered only a small fraction of what it is really worth. Few examples I have seen is level x's go for $2, gengar lv x for $10 etc,etc. Or vice versa, Sellers selling cards way OVERPRICED to new/younger players. I have once bought a card that is 5 times more than the market price. I have heard stories of other players whereby they bought a tin promo for $30. This is absurd! ($30 can cover the cost of a whole tin and leave a few bucks to buy a booster pack) I find such traders have no integrity. Ironically one of such traders that i have seen is the same person as Buyer C stated above.

I agree to having a blacklist where everyone can post who to be wary off. It is a way to prevent and protect players from such dishonest and underhanded traders.
<<

lucario33

Pokémon BW Friend Code: 3482-1976-8134

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:39 am

Oh yea, theres another kind of case whereby, someone's eye seem so sparkling of somebody elses card that they start to do illegal things like stealing.. Which i happen to be a victim of it.

IMO, a blacklist could be tried, just that we need someone to operate it.
ImageImage
<<

xjamxstreetx

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:03 pm

From what I see besides forum works..my girlfriend operates a blogspot and they have this blackmail list too..what happens to most is that many people tend to use this blacklist as a platform to threaten the other party into giving them what they want. So many of times people are succumb to having to give In to the evil trader. As such this makes people who are on the blacklist to create separate accounts as well some of them are wrongly accussed. Someone will have to moderate the stories between the both sides before the name can be put up onto the blacklist. Well if in such a case a name gets up there based on evidence there should be a justified way to get the name off like dealing fairly a couple of times.

What I recommend is that people before buying just check out the price correctly and sellers just stay true to their words of committing to a deal
Charmanders are red, Squirtles are blue. If you were a pokemon, I'd choose you! I'll stay by your side like Pikachu and Ash, and I'll love you more than a level 80 Rapidash. You're more legendary than a Zapdos, Zekrom or Mew. Out of the 650 pokemon, I CHOOSE YOU!
<<

lucario33

Pokémon BW Friend Code: 3482-1976-8134

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:12 pm

We need a trusted professor who can judge who's right who's wrong from there..
ImageImage
<<

mammorth

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Just to clear the air, everyone has to manage their expectations, most people aren't out to get you.
For example, if you asked someone to bring a card, but found a better deal afterward, what is stopping you from buying the card at a lower price??? For the sellers, you dont lose much besides the effort required to bring the card along.

and just another bit: there is no such thing as spoiling the market, only sellers who refuse to lower prices. Even if you choose not to sell lower, if demand is high enough, someone would eventually buy it wouldn't they? You also benefit from cheaper cards :) Its a free market and everyone can do what they like with their cards.

ONE thing I do agree is that newer players tend to be scammed, though with help from fellow players this can be minimised.
<<

UknowMe

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:42 pm

IMO, $1~$3 reduction in price to win a customer is fair.
and that a buyer should purchase from the seller when he have already called for a deal.
thus, buyers should seek for a good price 1st instead of recklessly agreeing on a price and go MIA after that.
Pee
<<

xZephyrL

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 pm

TheFirstSecond wrote:I am a new player who started around 2 months ago and I think that the most intolerable type of buyers are those that "steal" deals from people that they know.

Let me give you guys an example:
Buyer A is interested in buying Seller B's cards. They agreed on a deal and decide to meet 1 week later. However, 2 days later, Buyer C who is Buyer A's acquaintance found out about the deal and is also interested in the cards that Seller B agreed to sell Buyer A. When Seller B tells Buyer C that it is reserved by Buyer A, Buyer C immediately offers $(put price here) more than the deal made between Buyer A and Seller B. Unable to resist earning a few bucks or even few cents more, Seller B succumbed to temptation and sold the cards to Buyer C. Even worst is that Buyer C can happily tell Buyer A that he bought from Seller B and pretended not to know about the deal between Buyer A and Seller B. IMO this is inexcusable and i feel that such people have no ethics.

It seems so detailed because i had been Buyer A for multiple occasions. Buyer C has been the same person all along. -_-. Whatever I am interested in will be in his album 1 week after he knows that i want to buy it.

Like what Deusanautica said, buying and selling requires mutual responsibility between both buyer and seller, and I feel that other buyers should have the courtesy not to break deals that had already been agreed upon the parties involved.

Another thing that disgusts me and i find totally unacceptable is scamming of new/younger players. I have seen other new players, mostly little kids being scammed. They tend to lie to small kids that the card is weak and useless and offered only a small fraction of what it is really worth. Few examples I have seen is level x's go for $2, gengar lv x for $10 etc,etc. Or vice versa, Sellers selling cards way OVERPRICED to new/younger players. I have once bought a card that is 5 times more than the market price. I have heard stories of other players whereby they bought a tin promo for $30. This is absurd! ($30 can cover the cost of a whole tin and leave a few bucks to buy a booster pack) I find such traders have no integrity. Ironically one of such traders that i have seen is the same person as Buyer C stated above.

I agree to having a blacklist where everyone can post who to be wary off. It is a way to prevent and protect players from such dishonest and underhanded traders.

What goes around comes around, no need to feel bad and worry. Retribution hits twice as hard . My warning to newer players : Don't rush into buying cards, very easy to get scammed.
Selling and Buying
http://www.teamrobo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1586
Contact 9150 9616
Looking for people to playtest in the west. :)
<<

xZephyrL

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 pm

manf wrote:I agree with you Wallace, that maintaining good buyer-seller etiquette will make things much more cohesive and definately promote a friendlier environment.

But what can we do? Like you've mentioned, the black list thingie can be worked around rather easily, and honestly if I can still sell my unwanted cards to these blacklisted sellers nobody can stop me. Unless we have like... a PokePolice or something.

I too have had my fair share of buys being pulled out ON THE DAY ITSELF IN FRONT OF ME. To make matters worst, I had to get those cards from a friend in hopes of being a better seller to that particular buyer. Things didn't turn out so well, but I still gave him a smile and sold him what he needed, because ultimately this isn't a market game, its supposed to be focused on the fun instead of making $$$ out of it. I just feel glad that the cards I don't need will help another player make his game.

Sellers, please sell responsibly. Don't employ ruthless tactics JUST so you can steal customers. Unless you need the money to take the bus home or buy your only meal for the day.

Buyers, please buy responsibly. When you commit to a deal, most sellers will commit and keep the cards for you. Respect that basic level of commitment and fulfill the deal. If you want to back out, like Wallace has said, do give early notice.

@abc: I feel your pain... I'm going to make a trip to Lakeside to fulfill a deal soon, and its super out of the way for me, but the seller is unable to meet elsewhere so... Yea. What to do, if the other person is unable to compromise in any way, it then boils then to how much the other party wants to sell/buy the cards =\

Hey manf, Im the seller :). Anyway Really appreciate your time even though its out of the way. Kudos to manf! Definitely a recommended card dealer. Probably after my exams I can make it to Jcube, will be more convenient for u ya?
Selling and Buying
http://www.teamrobo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1586
Contact 9150 9616
Looking for people to playtest in the west. :)
<<

flash2351

Professor
Professor

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:54 pm

mammorth wrote:Just to clear the air, everyone has to manage their expectations, most people aren't out to get you.
For example, if you asked someone to bring a card, but found a better deal afterward, what is stopping you from buying the card at a lower price??? For the sellers, you dont lose much besides the effort required to bring the card along.

This is exactly the attitude that we disapprove of. Imagine this. You agree to buy a card, then the day of the deal, you turn up and the seller tells you, opps, i found someone willing to buy for $1 more, so i sold to him. Won't you be pissed? The same would happen if you suddenly back out of a deal.

In summary, it's alright for you to scout for any deal you want. But, the moment you pm a seller and reserve the cards, you made a commitment to buy the cards. As such, you should buy the cards from the original seller, no matter what new deals you are offered. You might think that the seller doesnt lose much if you back out, but maybe because u reserved the cards, he turned down another potential buyer and now, you back out, and he has no one to sell the cards to. Please try and put yourself in other ppl's shoes before just stating that they dont lose much.
PreviousNext

Return to Card Trading Centre