FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Featured Article: The Etiquettes of Buying and Selling Cards

<<

BlazingDragon

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Featured Article: The Etiquettes of Buying and Selling C

What about doing what Deusanautica appears to be doing; enforcing your own personal blacklist?
THIS HAND OF MINE BURNS WITH AN AWESOME POWER!
IT'S LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU!!!
<<

Deusanautica

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:51 pm

I don't keep a list of blacklisted people on paper, but I do have two people in my mind that I'd consider blacklisted, the first is a person who wanted to buy several cards, amounting to over 60 dollars in total, delayed payments by several weeks, before backing out on several cards one by one for all sorts of reasons, then asking me to lend him the remaining cards, before defaulting on payments for those cards for a whole month, resulting in me chasing him for that month, before finally complaining that my prices were too steep, and that he wanted them for a dollar less. I asked the leader of his gym to repo those cards and return them to me.

The second, is the guy who decided to come to my gym, and cut prices to lure my client away from me, right as I was talking to that client. The ones who were there that day saw what happened after that. I may be a gym leader, but I am a merchant before I am a gym leader, I'm not gonna let anyone waltz in and start screwing transactions up for people. It makes no difference whether the victim is myself, my friends, or my subordinates. Anyone who tries to mess with them will answer to me.

Shaymin is too cute...
<<

Deusanautica

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:07 am

mammorth wrote:Just to clear the air, everyone has to manage their expectations, most people aren't out to get you.
For example, if you asked someone to bring a card, but found a better deal afterward, what is stopping you from buying the card at a lower price??? For the sellers, you dont lose much besides the effort required to bring the card along.

and just another bit: there is no such thing as spoiling the market, only sellers who refuse to lower prices. Even if you choose not to sell lower, if demand is high enough, someone would eventually buy it wouldn't they? You also benefit from cheaper cards :) Its a free market and everyone can do what they like with their cards.

ONE thing I do agree is that newer players tend to be scammed, though with help from fellow players this can be minimised.

Mammorth, if there's nothing stopping you from not honouring the commitment you made to the first seller and hopping over to the second. I'd say right here, make no mistake about it, you have no moral capacity to do the right thing when buying cards, which is to honour your commitment.

It's one thing if people are going round bargain hunting, but the most important thing is to honour the commitments made to a buyer or a seller.

Shaymin is too cute...
<<

mammorth

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:10 am

OK maybe I didn't explain enough....

Some guy wanted to buy my cards, so I brought it to the meeting place, where an official event was occurring e.g States. Guess wad? He didn't show up or reply my smses.
But for me, that was okay, and I continued to participate in that event anyway. I dun lose anything. That was what I meant.

And what I do buying cards is that I ask the seller if there are still copies of that card, followed by where he is "gyming" or living. That doesn't mean I reserve the card, but it doesn't trouble the seller too much either. Maybe for different people they like to have it in BLACK AND WHITE (haha).

About commitments...i suppose its kinda moot when applying moral capacity, since it differs from everyone. A simple question wouldn't lead to a commitment, there could be expressing of interest or something like that. Hmm.... some people are just too indecisive for commitments.

POINT: just double check with the other party about the deal, if the smses/pms sound vague/unsure.

There, are you pleased now?
<<

purelyxc

Professor
Professor

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:09 am

thats not the point, well, let me share with you this experience..
i had an offer once for lost worlds, for 4 of them actually, that time it was still pretty rare and i was selling them at ten dollars each, so it was 4 for 40 deal, and many were wanting to buy it from me then as i believe i was one of the few people letting it go then.

so this guy came first and said he wanted them all, i said no problem, since he is in army he could only deal weekends..
no problem for me, i held on.. the first week he could only meet on sun, but i was really busy and couldnt meet him then, alright he said no worries he will deal with me the next week, so we went to week two, i texted him on one of the weekdays we arranged a meeting on sun.. sat came so i texted for confirmation, no reply.. i texted again on sunday, he said he didnt want them anymore..

and so i went to find another a few of the buyers who wanted it initially, most said they already got what they needed, i only managed to sell one away after that.. now ive a few more at home. zzz. he had two whole weeks to decide and he said yes yes all the way, because it was a huge deal and if he cancelled it wouldve been bitter to swallow, and he did anyway. dont commit if you cant. simple as that.

so you see how confirming doesnt work? its okay if you are buying in bulk and you cancel one of two cards on the day of the meet up its still tolerable, but dont cancel the whole deal cos someone beats my price, at least be reasonable.. thats what wallace is trying to say here, and thats what all buyers and sellers want from each other.

i think the best thing for now, is to keep your own blacklist, so you know who to avoid selling to and buying from, share with your closer friends and fellow newcomers if you must, because ive learnt to be wary of some dealers on the forums.. and its really unpleasant dealing with them. (multiple dealings with these few always ends up in them increasing the price cos someone offered more, or by them asking for more then they have posted on their own thread)

here's some healthy tips for buyers and sellers to keep in mind at all times..

(seller): if a buyer has purchased your cards, you ought not to continue having them listed so people will stop offering for them.

(buyer): when you have made a deal with your seller, you ought to stick to it and not scout for lower prices.
Platinum FC: 2622 4684 8603
SS FC: 3180 9321 5708
<<

UknowMe

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Friend Code: ****-****-****

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: ****-****-****

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:25 am

pls don't agree on something and back out. if you wan to find a good deal, then don't promise/agree on a deal, jz ask for price and say you'll get back to him if you want it.
Pee
<<

xZephyrL

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:08 pm

How about putting a list in your own buying / selling thread? Example

good buyers/sellers
XXX - fast and straight foward etc etc

Blacklist
XXX - didnt turn up for deal
Selling and Buying
http://www.teamrobo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1586
Contact 9150 9616
Looking for people to playtest in the west. :)
<<

abc

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: 1337 1337 1337

Pokémon BW Friend Code: 1120 0252 7821

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Now I've met a new type of buyer: They ask for last-minute bargains when you meet up with them, and threaten to not buy the cards if the seller doesn't give in, wasting the seller's time travelling long distances to meet them.

Man, this could be a good tactic to save money, but I'd recommend NOT trying it (I mean, save a few dollars to allow yourself to be portrayed as a miser?)
Q. Can I use Rotom's "Mischievous Trick" Poke-POWER when I have no cards in my deck, to put a Prize card into my deck?

A. No, you can't. That would be far too mischievous. (HS:Undaunted FAQ; Sep 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team)
<<

Deusanautica

Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 pm

abc wrote:Now I've met a new type of buyer: They ask for last-minute bargains when you meet up with them, and threaten to not buy the cards if the seller doesn't give in, wasting the seller's time travelling long distances to meet them.

Man, this could be a good tactic to save money, but I'd recommend NOT trying it (I mean, save a few dollars to allow yourself to be portrayed as a miser?)

The seller would definitely lose out in this scenario, if he sells with the discount, he is short changing himself, but if he doesn't sell, he'll definitely waste a lot of travel fare, and might be labeled as a miser himself by the buyer, and he'll need to put in effort again just to find another buyer. The seller has the short end of the stick no matter what happens. I'm lucky not to have met anyone like that thus far. Such people are definitely blacklist worthy.

Shaymin is too cute...
<<

abc

Heart Gold/Soul Silver Friend Code: 1337 1337 1337

Pokémon BW Friend Code: 1120 0252 7821

Post Tue May 03, 2011 8:27 pm

I second that! Such people who have the cheek to back out on the deal last-minute unless discounts are given are definitely blacklist-worthy.

I can never fully reiterate in words the dissatisfaction and disdain I felt for the buyer when he gave me lame excuses and asked me to cut down the price. Before he asked for any discounts at all, the deal was settled for $22.50, which he bargained to $21. I was reluctant to do so but agreed anyway. When he saw the cards, he went on to press me for a further $1 discount and I just decided to give in to avoid an awkward situation. Also, I did not want to put in more effort to locate another buyer. I hope such buyers won't emerge in our card trading market anymore.
Q. Can I use Rotom's "Mischievous Trick" Poke-POWER when I have no cards in my deck, to put a Prize card into my deck?

A. No, you can't. That would be far too mischievous. (HS:Undaunted FAQ; Sep 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team)
PreviousNext

Return to Card Trading Centre